Online registration now open for Kindergarten Live! parent tradeshow
To help parents prepare their children to start school, the Peel District School Board will host Kindergarten Live!, a series of information sessions in late November and December. Families will have the opportunity to see a kindergarten class in action and ask questions about what they can expect from their children's kindergarten experience.
"Starting school is a big step and an exciting time for families. At the Peel board, we want to do everything we can to ensure parents feel confident their children's school experience will be one filled with joy and learning," notes Wendy Dowling, superintendent of education – early years. "Parents tell us they have lots of questions about the kindergarten experience—from what to pack for lunch to how the curriculum is taught. So, we've partnered with child care providers to help provide families with the information they need to ensure children's transition to kindergarten is a smooth one."
Kindergarten Live! kicks off at Sherwood Mills Public School, located at 1385 Sherwood Mills Blvd. in Mississauga, on Nov. 27 from 6 to 8 p.m. On this night, local athletes, community leaders, media and celebrities—including Minister of Education Liz Sandals, Kids' CBC's Mamma Yamma, HGTV's Scott McGillivray—will head back to class. Other celebrity students include:
- Jim Grieve, assistant deputy minister, Ministry of Education: Early Learning Division
- Suzanne Nurse, vice-chair, Peel District School Board
- Wali Shah, motivational speaker and musician
- Matt Small, acting staff sergeant, Operations Support Services Command, Peel Regional Police
- Mark Bailey, second vice-president, Ontario Public School Boards' Association
- Journalists Iain Colpitts, Kate Hammer, Moira MacDonald, Kris Rushowy and Marivel Taruc
- Radio hosts Piya Chattopadhyay, Stu Jeffries, JJ and Cory Kimm
- local athletes
On the same night, Kindergarten Live! Carousel, a tradeshow-style area will connect parents with Peel board staff, and early learning and community partners who will provide information about:
- which school families should register their children at based on school boundaries
- play-based learning
- special education programs and resources
- how to pack healthy lunches and snacks
- busing—parents and students will have an opportunity to ride a school bus
- before- and after-school programs
The carousel component of Kindergarten Live! will also be held at two other Peel elementary schools:
- Hickory Wood Public School on Dec. 3, 6 to 8 p.m., 630 Ray Lawson Blvd. in Brampton
- SouthFields Village Public School on Dec. 4, 6 to 8 p.m., 110 Learmont Ave. in Caledon
To learn more or to register for Kindergarten Live!, families can visit www.peelschools.org/parents/kindergarten/kindergartenlive. All registered participants will be entered into a draw for one of five backpacks filled with school supplies to help get their children ready for school.
Every year, more than 10,000 students enter kindergarten at the Peel board. Children born in 2011 can start kindergarten in September 2015. Parents can register their child at the school he or she will attend on Feb. 2, 3, 4 and 5 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. and on Feb. 5 from 5 to 8 p.m. Parents are also welcome to register their children prior to the registration period in February, and can do so beginning in December. To find out which school their child will attend, parents should call 905-890-1010/1-800-668-1146 ext. 2212.
Media contact: Wendy Dowling, Superintendent of Education – Early Years, 905-890-1010 ext. 2479, [email protected]
Reference: Carla Pereira, Acting Manager of Communications, 905-890-1010 ext. 2814, [email protected]