Demand for over-subscribed conference overwhelming
More than 400 educators will attend the Peel District School Board’s Teaching & Learning in a Digital World conference on Aug. 21 and 22. Over the two days, participants will have opportunities to connect with and learn from instructional technology experts.
“Today’s students are already technology leaders. They want to take the technology they use in their daily lives and make it a normal part of their classroom experience,” says Scott Moreash, associate director of instructional support services. “Our conference will inspire staff to build on their use of instructional technology to help increase engagement which, research tells us, leads to student success.”
The conference includes:
• keynote presentations by George Couros, division principal of Innovative Teaching and Learning for Parkland School Division, and Reuben Puentedura, founder and president of Hippasus and creator of the SAMR Model
• sessions on how to use 21st century teaching and learning tools for student assessment and to support collaborative inquiry
• a session on Aug. 21 by Puentedura on what Peel’s classrooms could look like in 2018
• a workshop by Couros on “Being a 21st Century Teaching and Learning Principal” on Aug. 22
• a Social Media Café - participants can learn how to get started with social media, and get hands-on support and ideas from experienced teachers
• “Appy Hour” - participants will share their favourite teaching and learning apps
• networking opportunities for educators
• closing address by Moreash
Notes Moreash, “In the 2013-14 school year, we will begin to see more and more teachers introduce technology into their classrooms in ways that are meaningful and that ‘power up’ student success. This is both exciting and the right thing to do for our students and their learning.”
The conference, presented in partnership with Apple Canada, runs from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Castlebrooke Secondary School. Castlebrooke is located at 10 Gardenbrooke Trail in Brampton.
Media contact: Patrick McQuade, Instructional Co-ordinator (Instructional Technology), 905-890-1010 ext. 2138 or [email protected]
Reference: Carla Pereira, Acting Manager of Communications, 905-890-1010 ext. 2814 or [email protected]
Note to media: An agenda is available by calling 905-890-1010 ext. 2814.