Is your child starting kindergarten or high school on Sept. 3? Is your uncertainty about the transition keeping you up at night? A good night’s rest is around the corner—the Peel District School Board has provided helpful parent resources to ensure back-to-school is as smooth as possible for families.
“We know that the transition back to school can be a little intimidating for parents and students. But, it’s also an exciting time,” says Patricia Stellick, coordinating principal, elementary schools. “Establishing routines and having regular, positive discussions with children will help begin a successful school year.”
For parents with children entering kindergarten:
• help your child feel more secure—walk or drive the bus route your child will take to school prior to the first day of school
• practice getting up at the new time and getting ready for school
• encourage your child knows his full name and phone number
• encourage independence with her dressing, washroom routine, hand washing and opening snack containers
• involve your child in preparing for the first day of school (e.g., choosing their clothes, preparing snack and packing their backpack)
• read with and talk with your child about books borrowed from the public library, print on food packages and the signs in your neighbourhood
• visit the board’s Welcome to Kindergarten page for more strategies
For parents with teens who will transition into grade 9 in September:
• be understanding and supportive
• resist the urge to rescue your teen—encourage them to use school resources, like guidance counsellors and teachers
• get involved—familiarize yourself with your teen's school schedule
• encourage your teen to get involved with school activities
• respect your teen's ideas and opinions
• stay connected—subscribe to receive important updates through your teen’s school website, or consider volunteering at the school
• watch the Peel Board’s Ready? Set? High School video to learn more about the high school experience, and read our parent guide
For more parent resources, visit www.peelschools.org/parents/helpyourchild. To stay connected with the Peel board, like “Peel District School Board” on Facebook at www.facebook.com/peelschools and follow us on Twitter @Peelschools.
Media contact: Patricia Stellick, Coordinating Principal, Elementary,
905-890-1010, ext. 2548, [email protected]
Reference: Ryan Strang, Communications Assistant, Peel District School Board,
905-890-1010, ext. 2735 or email [email protected]
Note to media: Contact us for a spokesperson/expert for more on the transition back to school.