June 22, 2020
Minister of Education appoints Bruce Rodrigues to supervise Peel District School Board
Recognizing that "anti-Black racism is a real and continuing problem in the Peel District School Board," Trustees unanimously passed a motion on June 17, 2020, to request the appointment of a Supervisor by Minister of Education Stephen Lecce. Today, the Minister announced the appointment of Bruce Rodrigues as Supervisor, who assumes the role immediately.We welcome Bruce and look forward to his expertise and guidance as the PDSB works to create safe, respectful and equitable spaces for all students, staff, families and community members, in particular those who identify as Black. We are encouraged to know that we will receive the help we need to bring about the fundamental changes that are required to help eliminate anti-Black racism and other forms of discrimination in the PDSB.
The motion passed unanimously by the Board of Trustees included the following resolution:
That the Peel District School Board offer its full cooperation to the Minister and any Supervisor that may be named by him to assist in the ongoing identification and implementation of those fundamental changes.
We need everyone to be involved, engaged and fully committed to this necessary work. Bruce will receive our full co-operation.
Being cognizant of the recommendations already in place, it is the board's firm commitment to:
It is the Board's hope that the Supervisor and ministry assistance will help us ensure all Black students and staff, and others we have marginalized and underserved, face a new and better reality when schools reopen in the new school year. We must create a more harmonious, productive and effective school district, and we are fully aware that we need help to guide our next steps.
- develop strong, respectful, collaborative relationships with diverse communities, particularly our Black communities
- establish a comprehensive plan and action to consult with these community groups
- establish an accountability framework to demonstrate progress towards measurable outcomes
- develop and execute a Strategic Equity Action Plan to address and work at eliminating all forms of oppression, systemic discrimination and anti-Black racism across the board
- establish a robust equity department, strong connections to equity work across other departments and a structure to address race relations on an ongoing basis
We will keep the PDSB community updated as we work alongside the Supervisor.
Brad MacDonald Peter Joshua
Chair of the Board Director of Education