March 13, 2020
Dear Peel District School Board Families,
Yesterday, the Premier's Office announced that it will close all publicly funded schools in Ontario from March 14 to April 5, 2020, in response to the emergence of COVID-19 in Ontario. As a result, all Peel District School Board schools, programs and worksites will be closed to students.
Please do not send your child(ren) to school during this time—you do not need to report their absence. All doors will be locked, and staff will not be present to supervise your child.
We understand this news is sudden, and that you likely have many questions on how these closures will impact you and/or your family. In addition to all schools being closed, here is a breakdown of how programs will be impacted by this news:
- Full-day child care programs in schools (i.e. infant, toddler and preschool programs) will not operate during this time. Please check with these providers directly for more information.
- Before- and after-school programs, including March Break camps, will not operate during this time. Please check with these providers directly for more information.
- EarlyOn/Child & Family Learning Centres (CFLC) programs will be closed.
- All Co-op placements, including those taking place off school property, will not take place during this time.
- Dual Credit programming will not run during this closure period. Dual Credit students should not report to their college locations.
- Extracurricular activities, including ROPSAA and OFSAA events, will be cancelled during this time.
- All evening and weekend permits will be cancelled from March 14 to April 5, inclusive, in all schools and board offices.
There are a number of other questions that are addressed in our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) resource at www.peelschools.org/coronavirus. We hope that this helps to alleviate some of the anxiousness and wonderings you may have. We will continue to update this FAQ as we receive confirmation and clarification.
During these closures, the Peel board is committed to keeping you updated. It is important that you stay connected:
- Visit the Peel board website at www.peelschools.org/coronavirus. This should be your primary source for all board updates on COVID-19 impacting Peel board students, staff and families.
- Subscribe to your school's website—look for "Sign up for school news" on the home page.
- Follow the Peel board on social media—follow @PeelSchools on Twitter and Instagram, and/or like our page at www.facebook.com/peelschools.
In the event that there is a technology failure and websites aren't working, we will continue to post updates on the board's social media channels.
Tips to prevent the spread of the virus
Peel Public Health has shared the following tips to help prevent the spread of respiratory viruses, such as novel coronavirus:
- Stay home if you are sick.
- Avoid other people who are sick.
- Cover coughs and sneezes with your sleeve.
- Wash your hands with soap and water or with alcohol-based hand rub.
- Parents are reminded to consult their physician if they have any concerns.
- Residents who return from recent international travel with history of travel to affected areas and become ill with respiratory signs and symptoms such as fever and cough should report their travel history to any health professional or emergency department staff when they visit.
For more information about COVID-19, contact Peel Public Health directly. Mississauga and Brampton residents can call 905-799-7700, and Caledon residents can call 905-584-2216. You can also visit the Peel Public Health website at www.peelregion.ca/coronavirus, talk to your doctor or call TeleHealth at 1-866-797-0000.
We appreciate your ongoing patience during this evolving, unprecedented event. Please stay healthy and safe during the next three weeks.
Director of Education