Female secondary school students from the Peel District School Board are invited to attend Sharing Our Journeys—Planning for Success: A Young Women's Pathways and Leadership Conference on Feb. 16 at the HJA Brown Education Centre. Attendees will listen to speakers, participate in discussions and network with women in a variety of different science and technology careers.
"This event allows our female students to connect with female mentors and see themselves reflected in non-traditional pathways they might not consider otherwise," says Harpreet Kaur Neelam, instructional coordinator for science and technology at the Peel board. "We're thrilled to have such a diverse group of successful female professionals share their stories with our students to help inspire the next generation of female leaders."
Special guest speakers and panelists include:
- Sargeant Joy Edwards, Peel Regional Police
- Crissa Hill, Acting Principal, West Credit Secondary School
- Tamar Huggins, Founder and Executive Director, Driven Accelerator Group
- Alvine Kamaha, Postdoctoral Research Fellow, NEWS (News Experiment With Spheres)
- Gurpreet Kaur, Global Delivery Executive, Infor
- Rabia Khedr, Commissioner, Ontario Human Rights Commission
- Zainab Heddokheel, Project Engineer, Kenaiden Contracting Ltd.
- Ellysia Noble, Co-Founder, The Bootcamp Factory
- Lori Papple, Senior Information Security Specialist, CIBC
- Tony Pontes, Director of Education, Peel District School Board
- Ann Sado, President, George Brown College
- Jasmeet Sidhu, Senior Creative Producer, MasterClass
- Jayda Tremblay, Automotive Service Technician Apprentice, Raceway Chrysler
- Andrea Ziegler, President, Workopolis
Sharing Our Journeys is being hosted by the Peel board in partnership with SAFAR – The Sikh Feminist Research Institute. The event runs from 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. at the HJA Brown Education Centre, located at 5650 Hurontario St. in Mississauga.
Media Contact: Harpreet Neelam, Instructional Coordinator Science and Technology Education, 905-890-1010 ext. 2473, [email protected]
Reference: Nikki Johal, Communications Assistant, 905-890-1010, ext. 2098, [email protected]