January 13, 2017

Peel families invited to 'Start with a Smile' and register for kindergarten

Children born in 2013 can start school in September 2017

Peel District School Board elementary schools are currently open for kindergarten registration​, and will hold special activities and events for Kindergarten Registration Week during Feb. 6 to 9 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., and on Feb. 9 from 5 to 8 p.m. Parents of children born in 2013 are invited to attend to register and learn more about the kindergarten program.

"We invite families to Start with a Smile, and begin their education journey with us by registering their children for our exciting kindergarten program. I know school staff are eager to meet our new kindergarten students and families," says Tony Pontes, director of education. "At the Peel board, we want to do everything we can to ensure the registration process is as easy and convenient as possible for families." 

For a glimpse into the kindergarten classroom, the Peel board launched six new 30-second videos featuring the kindergarten program at Ridgeview Public School. Visit www.peelschools.org/kindergarten to view a new video posted weekly leading up to Kindergarten Registration Week.

If parents are unable to attend Kindergarten Registration Week, they may register their child for kindergarten by visiting the school their child will attend any time during school hours. It is recommended that parents call ahead to reduce wait times. To find out what school their child will attend, parents can use the Find Your School tool at www.peelschools.org/schools/findyourschool.

The kindergarten registration form can be downloaded and completed before visiting their child's school by visiting www.peelschools.org/kindergarten. Forms can also be completed in person at Peel elementary schools.

The following documents must accompany the registration form:

Proof of child's age (one of)​
  • Canadian birth certificate 
  • Canadian passport 
  • citizenship card/certificate 
  • Permanent Resident Card 
  • confirmation of permanent residence 
  • work or study permit ​
  • proof of refugee status
Proof of address (one of)
  • Ontario driver's licence 
  • utility bill    
  • bank statement (directly from financial institution) 
  • credit card statement 
  • federal government forms (e.g. Social Insurance Number, Service Canada documents) 
  • purchase agreement (lease agreements will not be accepted)

Proof of custody
Children must live with their parent(s) unless provided documentation supports an alternate living arrangement.

Proof of immunization
Students registering in an Ontario public school for the first time must provide proof of immunization/vaccination. If you don't have an immunization record for your child, please call Peel Public Health at 905-799-7700.

To learn more about kindergarten registration, visit www.peelschools.org/kindergarten.


Reference: Kayla Tishcoff, Communications Officer, 905-890-1010 ext. 2239, [email protected] ​​


Find Your School