In September, the Peel District School Board expanded the popular Specialist High Skills Major (SHSM) program by adding six new programs for the 2015-16 school year. SHSM programs allow students to focus on a specific economic sector, while meeting the requirements of the Ontario Secondary School Diploma.
The following ministry-approved SHSM sectors, which began in the following Peel schools in September 2015, give students opportunities to work with industry partners, gain work experience and build skills:
- Arts and Culture – John Fraser Secondary School
- Business – Sandalwood Heights Secondary School
- Environment – Humberview Secondary School
- Health and Wellness – Fletcher's Meadow Secondary School
- Information and Communications Technology – Brampton Centennial Secondary School
- Sports – Central Peel Secondary School
Students earn credits in sector-related and cooperative education courses and complete recognized certifications and training. In addition, students take part in experiential learning and reach ahead activities outside the classroom and use the Ontario Skills Passport to develop and record essential skills and work habits.
Currently, the Peel board offers 46 programs in 12 SHSM sectors at 29 schools. For more information about Peel board SHSM programs, visit www.makingmyway.ca/SHSM.