On Aug. 20, 2015, the Elementary Teachers' Federation of Ontario (ETFO) announced phase two work-to-rule in public schools across Ontario. We know that, as parents, it is important for you to know how this situation may affect your child, so I'm writing to provide you with an update.
In addition to job action taken during phase one, during phase two, teachers will not:
- plan, organize or participate in field trips
- plan, organize or participate in fundraising activities
- collect monies
- attend open houses or 'Meet the Teacher' nights outside of the instructional day
- participate in board professional development, other than mandatory first-aid training, Sabrina's Law and WHMIS
- collect or distribute to students any paperwork required by the school or school board
At this time, ETFO has informed teachers that they are able to volunteer to provide extracurricular activities. Other phase two work-to-rule protocols have been directed by ETFO, but they are administrative in nature, and as such, there will be limited impact on students.
We are committed to keeping you informed and will continue to monitor the situation and its impact on elementary students:
As a board, we respect our elementary teachers and value their work with students. We remain committed to reaching fair, negotiated agreements with all of our employee groups. Thank you for your patience, support and understanding.
Janet McDougald, Chair, Peel District School Board