Parents can book an appointment to register their children for school
Children born in 2011 can start kindergarten in September 2015. Parents can contact their local Peel District School Board school to make an appointment to register their child. To find out which school their child will attend, parents can call 905-890-1010/1-800-668-1146 ext. 2212 or visit www.peelschools.org and click on 'Find Your School'. School contact information is available on the Peel board website at www.peelschools.org/schools/all.
"We hold kindergarten registration during a specific week every February, but really, parents can register their children for school anytime before the end of the school year and again the week before school starts," says Wendy Dowling, superintendent of education— early years. "At the Peel board, we're always ready to welcome new families at our schools."
Parents should bring the following to registration:
Proof of child's age (one of)
- Canadian birth certificate
- Canadian passport
- citizenship card/certificate
- Permanent Resident Card
- confirmation of permanent residence
- work permit
- refugee permit
Proof of address (one of)
- Ontario driver's licence
- utility bill
- bank statement/client slip (directly from financial institution)
- credit card statement
- federal government forms (e.g. Social Insurance Number, Service Canada documents)
- purchase agreement
Proof of custody
Proof of immunization
It is important for parents to know that required immunization information forms must be completed before children are allowed to attend class. Parents should contact Peel Health at Peel Public Health at 905-799-7700 (Caledon residents can call toll-free at 905-584-2216):
- for information about the immunization schedule in Ontario
- to verify that your child's record is up-to-date
- to obtain exemption forms if your child has not been immunized for medical reasons or because of conflict of religion or conscience
- for information about how to have your child immunized if you do not have an Ontario health card and can't afford a doctor's fee for immunization
For more information about kindergarten, visit www.peelschools.org/parents/programs/kindergarten.
The Peel board serves more than 153,000 students in kindergarten to grade 12. Operating 246 schools in the municipalities of Brampton, Caledon and Mississauga, the Peel board is the largest employer in Peel. For more information, visit www.peelschools.org.
Media contact: Wendy Dowling, Superintendent of Education— Early Years, 905-890-1010 or 1-800-668-1146, ext. 2479, [email protected]
Reference: Anne-Marie Brown, Communications Officer, 905-890-1010 or 1-800-668-1146, ext. 2626, [email protected]