Freedom of Information & Privacy
It’s easy to get information about the Peel District School Board. If you can’t find the information you’re looking for on our website, here are some other ways of getting information:
- email a question or information request to us through the website
- phone the board at 905-890-1010 (or 1-800-668-1146)
- visit our main office in person—HJA Brown Education Centre, 5650 Hurontario St., Mississauga, Ontario, L5R 1C6 (south west corner of Hurontario St. and Matheson Blvd.)
Occasionally, if an information request is particularly complex or sensitive, it may require a more formal process. In that case, you can access information through the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FOI). This provincial legislation came into effect on Jan. 1, 1991, and balances the protection of two important principles:
- the public’s right of access to information
- an individual’s right to protection of privacy
FOI legislation requires school boards to protect the privacy of an individual’s personal information. It also gives individuals the right of access to government—in this case, school board—information, including most general records and any records containing their own personal information.
Here’s how to submit an FOI request:
- In a letter, describe exactly the information you want and enclose a $5 application fee. Send or deliver the letter and fee to:
Freedom of Information Office
Communications & Community Relations Support Services
Peel District School Board
5650 Hurontario Street
Mississauga, Ontario L5R 1C6
- The board charges the following costs for your request, according to the FOI legislation:
- $30 per hour of search and preparation time for general information
- 20 cents per page for photocopying
- postage fees
Other charges could include computer programming time or any costs incurred by the board in completing your request.
- We will give you a cost estimate for your request, if it’s likely to be more than $25.
- The FOI legislation allows us 30 days in which to respond to information requests, but we get back to applicants as soon as we’ve gathered the information.
For more information about accessing information through FOI, call 905-890-1010 (or 1-800-668-1146) ext. 2019 or 2812 or visit one of the following websites:
Information and Privacy Commission
Ministry of Government Services