BRIEFING - HIGHLIGHTS OF THE SEPTEMBER 26, 2017
MEETING OF THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES
Peel board kicks off United Way campaign
United Way chair Lea-Anne Greene-Smith, principal at TL Kennedy Secondary School, presented the 2017-18 campaign plan to the board. The employee giving campaign, We Inspire Possibility, will run from Oct. 25 to Nov. 27, 2017.
The board acknowledged the hard work and effort by the Peel board's volunteer United Way Committee. This year, the board's goal is to raise $300,000.
Peel board recognizes Teacher Recognition Day in Peel on Oct. 5, 2017
The board recognized Oct. 5, 2017, as Teacher Recognition Day in Peel schools. This day is recognized globally on Oct. 5 every year as United Nations World Teachers' Day. Schools will participate in various activities to acknowledge the contributions teachers make in the lives of children, families and community members.
Board approves tender for Thorndale Public School addition
Trustees approved the tender, in the amount of $2,324,184 including HST, for the construction of Thorndale Public School FDK Addition, to be awarded to Century Group Inc.
Board approves community representatives for membership on SAL Committee
Membership on the Supervised Alternative Learning (SAL) Committee is updated on an annual basis. Superintendents of education determine the continued interest and availability of members who served the previous year and recruit new volunteers. Trustees approved the following community representatives for membership on the 2017-18 SAL Committee:
- Don Ablett, Retired Secondary Principal, Peel District School Board
- Lisa Bachmeier, Associated Youth Services of Peel
- Anne Boissinot, Volunteer, Library Board
- Teanna Brun, Associated Youth Services of Peel
- Rachel Ferreira, Youth Probation Officer, Ministry of Children and Youth Services
- Beryl Ford, Former Trustee, Peel District School Board
- Lisa Gray, Police Officer, Peel Regional Police
- Judy Hughes, Retired Teacher, Peel District School Board
- Cathy Matthews, Retired Secondary Vice-Principal, Peel District School Board
- Janice MacKay, Youth Probationary Officer, Ministry of Children and Youth Services
- Andrew Raralio, Director of Services for Friends & Advocates Peel and Surrounding Areas
- Dana Riddell, Retired Chief Social Worker, Peel District School Board
- Joyce Temple-Smith, Retired Executive Director, Malton Neighbourhood Services
- Jeff White, Former Trustee, Peel District School Board
Trustees recognized the contributions and years of service of the following staff who have/are retiring:
Kathy Geczi, senior social worker, will retire Oct. 31, 2017
Mary Ironside, teaching assistant, will retire Sept. 29, 2017
Jennifer Kottick, teacher, will retire Aug. 31, 2017