Special Education Advisory Committee
The Special Education Advisory Committee (SEAC) is a legislated committee of the Peel board that advises the board about special education programs and services. The committee:
- makes recommendations to the board with respect to any matter affecting the establishment, development, and delivery of special education programs and services for exceptional pupils of the board
- participates in the board's annual review of its special education plan
- participates in the board's annual budget process as it relates to special education
- reviews the financial statements of the board as they relate to special education
- provides information to parents, as requested
SEAC meets the third Tuesday of each month during the school year. The associations represented have their own meetings and provide support and information to parents.
The monthly SEAC meetings follow a formal agenda. Staff members bring forward statements of policy and updates on existing and new programs. They also provide information sessions on the broader implications of policies and programs that are being developed.
SEAC representatives bring forward the views of their organizations. SEAC meetings are open to the public and the agenda includes an opportunity for questions by the public.
The committee consists of three trustees and representatives from the following organizations:
Association for Bright Children, Peel Chapter
Autism Ontario, Peel Chapter
Brampton-Caledon Community Living
Canadian Mental Health Association/Peel Branch
Easter Seals Society
FASworld Canada - Peel Chapter
Fragile X Research Foundation of Canada
Learning Disabilities Association of Peel Region
Peel Caring Network for Challenged Kids
Tourette Syndrome Association of Ontario
VOICE for Hearing Impaired Children
VIEWS for Blind & Visually Impaired Children