Open House: Wednesday, Mar. 13 to Saturday, Mar. 16
10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Enjoy the beauty and wonder of nature as spring blossoms. Jack Smythe Field Centre offers an exceptional family experience with a visit to its maple syrup bush. The March Break programs run from Wednesday, Mar. 13 to Saturday, Mar. 16. The open house begins at 10 a.m. and the last presentation of the day will be at 3 p.m.
This year marks the 50-year anniversary of the Jack Smythe Field Centre. The Peel District School Board's Sugar Bush program provides families with outdoor, educational activities and hands-on experience. The program is run by Peel board staff during March Break.
Families are invited to get involved as Spring comes to life through the following activities:
- help tap trees and empty sap buckets.
- sample some freshly-made maple syrup.
- hike along our trails and feed the friendly chickadees by hand.
- learn how pioneers collected and produced syrup compared to modern-day operations.
- experience the Indigenous roots of sweet water.
- visit the sugar shack where the sap boils and clouds of sweet smelling steam billow out of the chimney.
The cost is $5.00/adult and $4.00/child 12 and under. Lunch will be available for purchase. It will include: hot chocolate, cookies and hotdogs for you to roast over an open fire. Please note that all payments are "cash" only.
Jack Smythe Field Centre is located at 14592 Winston Churchill Blvd. in Terra Cotta.
Directions to Jack Smythe Field Centre:
- Head North on Mississauga Rd.
- Turn left on King St. (You will see Credit View P.S. on your left)
- Turn right on Winston Churchill Blvd. (You will pass the Terra Cotta Conservation Area on your left)
- Head to the top of the hill and turn left into the Jack Smythe Field Centre site.
For more information, please contact the Jack Smythe Field Centre at 1-905-877-7771.