Conference focuses on beginner, intermediate, elite coaching levels
The Peel District School Board will host its second Secondary School Coaches' Conference on Feb. 2 at Turner Fenton Secondary School in Brampton. More than 300 staff will participate in this free full-day coaching conference.
"This multi-sport conference will provide coaches with the knowledge and tools to coach our students," says John Uren, resource teacher for extracurricular athletics at the Peel board and conference organizer. "As educators, we have a responsibility to provide student athletes with the support and training they need to be successful through sport as well as academics."
At the conference, staff can choose from 20 clinics, which will be led by coaches from local clubs, colleges, universities, and provincial, national and semi-professional sports teams. Clinics include:
The conference is only open to Peel board staff. Turner Fenton is located at 7935 Kennedy Rd. S. in Brampton. Registration begins at 8:30 a.m. Coaching clinics begin at 9 a.m. and the conference concludes at 3:30 p.m.
- Baseball—Adam Strongman, head coach of McMaster Marauders
- Basketball—Patrick Tatham, head coach of Ryerson Rams, ranked number one in CIS
- Cricket—Derek Perera, Ontario Cricket Academy & Club
- Football—Stef Ptaszek, head coach of McMaster Marauders
- Football—Mike Daly, defensive back for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats
- Rugby—Sean Allen, head coach of McMaster Marauders, National Champions
- Volleyball—Dave Preston, head coach men's McMaster Marauders, and Pakmen Volleyball
Media contact: John Uren, resource teacher—extracurricular athletics, 905-890-1010 ext. 2854, email@example.com
Reference: Ryan Strang, communications assistant, 905-890-1010 ext. 2725, firstname.lastname@example.org
Note to Media: Attached is a schedule for the coaches' conference.